Re: NST Death

Hi all,
        An aside to Bert's note:

On 13 Jul 01, at 8:18, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>
> <SNIP>
> >
> > Can someone explain to me why ARSGs are so bad for trannies? Robert Krampf
> > does shows with his NST powered coil, and uses an ARSG! He's done this for
> > years with the same NST.
> >
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Jonathon Reinhart
> > hometown.aol-dot-com/kidd6488/tesla
>
> Jonathon,
>
> If you use an Async gap with a sufficient number of electrodes, and make
> sure that you always rotate it at a sufficiently high speed, you'll always
> get gap presentations before dangerous tank circuit voltages can build up.
> The key is to make sure that if the gap fails to fire on a given
> presentation, that it will always fire on the NEXT presentation, and that
> this will always occur before the tank cap voltage can build to an
> unacceptably high value. So, assuming your async always ran at an average
> of 4 (or more) presentations/AC mains cycle, you should be OK. As an added
> precaution, you can bridge the ASRG with a static gap.
>
> -- Bert --
> --
> Bert Hickman
> Stoneridge Engineering
> Email:    bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net
> Web Site: http://www.teslamania-dot-com

When I did what Bert suggests for the first time (several years ago),
something puzzling happened. As the variac was turned up beyond a
certain point, the static gap began firing. That's when I realized
that rotaries don't bother waiting for their electrodes to line up
before firing and do in fact fire the moment their electrodes are
close enough for the cap voltage attained.

Regards,
Malcolm