Re: Biggg Coil run

Original poster: "Kevin R Eldredge by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kreld-at-juno-dot-com>

HI Godfrey

  The square transformer was wound on a modified 3 phase 240/660 volt dry
type power transformer.  I used no math for the primary winding, so I
made many taps to adjust the input voltage for the best idle current
which was 1 amp.  The secondary was wound as a ratio of pri/sec using the
middle pri tap as a reference.   It was all wound on a hand crank coil
winder.  There are two secondary windings with a center tap to ground.
It used 0.007" mylar for insulation and it sets in a homade tank filled
with transformer oil.  It has been a reliable transformer, built in 1994.

 I have several small HV transformers in 30 lb freon tanks with the tops
chopped off & a seal made to reassemble.  Thes cores used 1 & 2 kVA
battery charger transformers with thier primary windings left on (makes
it simple).  The pri/sec ratio was found & then a suitable secondary
wound using kraft paper as insulation.  Both are in transformer oil and
work quite well.  One has a 120 volt winding, the other 240 volt.

  A lot of the winding was done at work in spare time, so I really don't
have a time frame on building them, plus it has been a while back.  The
cores were bought at surplus/junk stores, the big one at a local
electrical wholsale shop.

  As far as brute force though, it's hard to beat a pole pig! :)

Coiling in Oklahoma.

Kevin E.

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 22:27:30 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
>Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>
>
>Hi Kevin
>
>Can you say something about the homebrew HV transformers I see at your
>site.
>

>Where did you get those big cores?
>
>Are the windings machine wound?
>
>Did you use mathematics to make designs?
>
>What kind of insulation did you use?
>
>How long did it take you to make one?
>
>Godfrey Loudner

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!