Re: first coil help

Original poster: "James Mathisrud by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jrmathis-at-pressenter-dot-com>

ok, well my coil is getting more powerful, but im still not getting
breakout, here are my coil specs

Tank circuit
power    1- 15kv 30ma nst
gap         1 gap 2 1.5in brass electrodes quenched with 30psi set at 3/8
in wide
cap         7 saltwater beer bottle caps filled with about 10 oz. ea
s gap      3 1/4in carrage bolts
chokes   2  2in pvc pipes wound with #28 wire about 7 in long ea.
primary   16 turn helical primary 1/4 in dia. spaced 1/4 in ea. inner turn 8 in
                at 45deg angle tapped at 12th turn
secondary-4.5 in pvc pipe wound with #22 about 21.5 in.long roughly 800 turns
discharge terminal- tennis ball covered in Al duct tape
ground 2-4foot copper clad rods
im also using a 600 watt dimmer to run the transformer

so far im able to draw off about 2-3 in sparks, but im not getting any
breakout. im starting to think that
maybe i need more nst's because my system might be too big for the one i
have also, i hope this isn't the
problem, but maybe my primary it at too great of an angle. hope this helps

thanks for everyones contributions, you have all been very helpful so far
and i look forward to getting
this thing working one of these days.
Ryan