Re: Thoughts on Tesla coil grounds...

Hi Antonio,

At 07:06 PM 7/16/2001 -0300, you wrote:
>Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>> I then measured the inductance of the AC wire (A long (25 foot heavy-duty
>> extension cord).  I have jumpered this outlet's ground to the water pipe
>> independent of this outlet's normal AC ground too.
>>
>>         AC line ground (eventually ties back to water pipe): 426uH
>>         Resistance:  0.247 ohms
>
>The inductance seems quite large for straight wires. How did you measure
>it? (I made some inductors in this range, and they take a lot of wire
>in a pot core...).
>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

I just used a 1000Hz hand held LCR meter.  I am not sure how much wire is
in the whole ground loop.  There is some AC noise that made the meter jump
a little too.  Outside of the loop, the ground and neutral wires go all
over the house and the nearby neighborhood too.  All things considered,
Probably not a good RF ground :-))  The direct cable to the water pipe
seems far better by a few orders of magnitude in many ways.  I am a bit
surprised at how bad the AC line ground is considering I did try to make it
a little better than a typical AC outlet ground...

Cheers,

	Terry