Re: idea for coil

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I think thats a very interesting idea and that some people may be surprised
by the results of a coil setup like this. If there was enough energy
available to create a nice strong field from the primary around the
secondary I think it could likely kick out some *serious* voltage at the top
(keep in mind that more voltage doesn't necessarily mean longer sparks).
Unless I'm seriously mis-understanding whats being said in this post, you
would have a many stage marx bank, charged up by a NST or other such power
supply, which would discharge directly into the primary coil of a TC, and
would not have a tank cap and sprak gap as usual, but would instead rely on
the energy stored in the marx bank to directly excite the primary coil, as
in a single shot setup. The whole setup really wouldn't be a TC, because it
would rely more on transformer action and a high turn/turn ratio, instead of
resonance. If you are hoping to make more of a true TC, then make sure you
have enough turns on the primary coil to resonate at your secondary's
frequency, keeping in mind that the capacitance of the "tank" circuit will
be equal to one capacitor divided by the number of stages. You may be better
off building a slightly lower voltage marx, with larger value capacitors,
because with any reasonable caps you are going to need a huge primary to
resonate with the combined capacitance. You may also want to look into
impulse transformers, since this is essentially what you want (I think :-).
If you have any serious plans for this or any other ideas on this I would
like to hear them and hopefully I can help you out (might want to do that
off list).

<<Jason Johnson>>
The Geek Group
G-3 #1129