Re: Good & Bad Maxwell Caps, MMC questions?

Hi All,

Bert's reply here is another excellent post that all should take note to. A
couple years ago, we
discussed this quite a bit (mostly during home brew cap discussions -
preMMC) and this became common
knowledge. But with so many new to the list, it's good Bert restated this
information.

I've been seeing the 30kV Maxwell cap threads and just assuming a few would
be mounted in series. I've
always liked the question: "how high should the cap voltage rating be?".
I use for minimum requirement  (Vrms * 1.414) * 2. This is "minimum"! You
would be safer changing the
last factor to 3. When I aquired my caps, I used a factor of 3 (60kV
rating). Higher is better (but the
cost goes up). 4 years of abuse, and still running strong.

Take care and thanks Bert,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>