Re: NorCal Teslathon -- Interesting Devices and Effects

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Marc's comment alerts me that my qualification as to grounding was close
to irrelevant.  What is demonstrated is nothing more than transformer
action: magnetic coupling between a pair of coils in proximity.  To a
greater or lesser degree, resonance may play a part in increasing the
"receiving"-coil's voltage.  The sending coil emits EM energy maximally
prior to spark break-out.  As long as it does so, grounding of it, or of
the receiving coil, is immaterial to the coupling of that EM
energy--unless, of course, the grounding affects the operation of the
sending coil.

Another caveat would be this:  Any "tingle" or even sparking obtained
from the receiving coil would be diminished to the extent that that coil
had some impedance between itself and ground, across which voltage could
be developed.

Ken Herrick

On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:05:25 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>

> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
> >
> > The better/more-common the grounds the more this kind of thing
> will be
> > seen to happen.  It's nothing more than EM coupling of 1 coil to
> the
> > other.  When they're near enough in Fr & near enough together it
> can
> > happen.  And it will be much more evident before spark break-out
> since
> > that's when the "sending" coil is radiating the most EMF.
>
> ken, all
> i saw this happen at the N.E. ohio teslathon last year when my coil
> was
> running. my coil uses no rf ground to earth  and operates at 33khz,
> the
> coil that was 15' away was only 4" dia. and about 18" long
> (guessing
> around 150khz) and was turned off and not plugged in (very miss
> matched
> fr). my coil was also in breakout condition.
> i fired my coil while the owner was explaining something about his
> coil
> when he got a "bite"?????
> i believe he is on this list but very "seldom" posts (mark, do you
> remember this? comments?)
> was one of the strangest energy transfers i've seen or heard about.
> marc m.
>

> > Ken Herrick

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.