Re: Trashed Tertiary Coil

Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bertpool-at-ticnet-dot-com>

Paul,
Welcome to the cannon club!
Richard Hull refers to the blown tertiary coils as "cannon fodder".

Proper placement of toroids above and below the tertiary  provide the
critical field shaping necessary to keep the coil from dying.  I have to say
that the sizing and placement distances from the top/bottom of the coil in a
magnifier is very much an art, and the lessons learned separate the novice
from the master.  I *highly* recommend getting Richard's videos on his
magnifier work.  I've duplicated his 11-E maggie, and I have my own pile of
dead coils to prove it.  Anyone who has gotten 10+ foot sparks from a 4 inch
by 12 inch coil is doing something right.

The archives will contain links or mailing addresses for Richard, should you
decide to contact him.

Bert Pool

{snip}
>   Was feeling pretty good about it all when a couple of arcs curled around
> from the toriod and doubled back onto the tertiary about 1/3 up from the
> base and trashed the tertiary coil by permanently shorting several
windings
> in two locations.
{snip}