Re: NorCal Teslathon -- Interesting Devices and Effects

Original poster: "Greg Leyh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Regarding how the power might be coupling to the passive coil,
I tend to discount coupling thru the ground connection, since
the ground is only rising 1oo's of volts at best, and the Q of
a loaded secondary (one with an arc hanging off it) is usually
far less than 100... The req'd resonant rise just isn't there.

Magnetically, I can't see 1,8oo watts coupling that far either.
The toroid, which is *much* more closely coupled than the other
coil, doesn't seem to experience any measurable inductive heating,
and whether the toroid is a shorted turn or not doesn't seem to
impact the operation of the coil in any noticable way.

Electrostatic coupling seems to be the most plausible theory
so far.  The secondary C is effectively around 130pF. If even
only 1% of that C is linked to the other toroid, then that
would account for around 200 watts... perhaps more if resonantly
coupled.
--

-GL
www.lod-dot-org