Re: MOV's BIG MOVs!

>Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>
Say like on a 14.4kV
>pig.......you'll probably find a 15kV arrestor on it? (not sure about
>this).

Yes, it looks like a ribbed ceramic tube about 12" long with a connector on
each end. Inside, in order, you will find...

A series of MOV "Pucks" about 1" dia and 2" thick, seperated by small spark
gap plates and rings.

A metal plate

A spring with a copper ribbon through it.

Another metal plate

I'm autopsied both 12kV ones (for Pig use) and 18kV ones (Bigger Pigs).

I've seen them rated
>from 10V up to 480V.

>Justin Hays
>KC5PNP
>Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com
>Webpage: www.hvguy-dot-com

The Group has 3 GIANT ones in stock. About 120lbs each, 8"dia, about 3'
long, and rated for 40kV I believe...I'd have to check. They have big metal
ends (Aluminum I think, cast. with 3 bolt holes on each end. They connect
with about 2awg braided copper wire and a clamp.

Anyone wants one let me know, I'll sell one, but I'mm keeping the pair for
use in the lab, unless the price is right. I can't be bought...but I can be
rented....cheap.

hmmm MOVs instulate up to a point, then, when the voltage is high enough,
conduct.

Sounds like a simple premice for a SS spark gap doesn't it? It would be a
delicate balance (all things related to coils are, look at MMCs) of the
individual MOVs ratings for voltage, current, and thermal dissapation. But
I'd bet it CAN be done, and cheaply. Maybe I just invented the MMG :) worth
a shot at least. Even if it doesn't work, a catastrophic failure would be
beautiful to watch :)

pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop
pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop pop (elapsed time 2 seconds :) )

Duck