Re: MOVs as an SG

Hi Jason,

It doesn't work.  The MOVs may conduct when the voltage reaches say 20001
volts but they will stop conducting when the voltage reaches 19999 volts.
Normal spark gaps start conducting at say 20001 volts and "stay conducting"
until the current drops to zero.  So spark gaps stay shorted throughout the
firing cycle where MOVs will stop conducting far too soon.

MOVs are great for draining energy from the system when the voltage gets
past a certain level.  But the instant the voltage goes below their rating,
they open right back up.  There are some components (sidactors??) that do
stay conducting.  Maybe a chance there, but their voltage ratings are not
very high.

Cheers,

	Terry