RE: Primary Strikes, how serious/bad?

HI,

I would like to "sort of" agree with Gary...

A streamer does not have enough current or energy behind it to
substantially charge a primary cap to a significant voltage.  However, a
strike could promote a power arc to the AC or cause some transient (it is
like 250000 volts) that could break over insulation somewhere.  This gets
more tricky at RF frequencies with high voltage.  MMCs have taken direct
streamer strikes in mid string and have "liked it" :-))

I have done a lot of fault modeling and streamers hitting things are
"theoretically" pretty benign.  My coils do not have strike rails and are
designed to take streamer hits to the "stuff".  However, I tend not to get
primary strikes since I make my coils big enough ;-))

I have lots of MOVs and stuff and if a strike blew something up it would be
something really cool for me to study :-))  But it seems that things are
really tough and it is not a problem.  Marco has electronic switching power
supplies on his big coil and recently had a big "China syndrome" thing melt
one down due to a primary strike, but that is not typical for the rest of us.

I would install MOVs from line to line and each line to ground.  That
pretty much protects the AC line stuff and prevents the "AC outlet on fire"
thing...  A good RF ground is a giant help too since that provides a stable
place for energy to be dumped in the event of something going wrong.  My
filter's MOVs across the NST pretty much take car of problems there.

All coils, coiling places, and coilers are different so there are no
absolute answers.  But I would favor good grounds and lots of MOVs for
protecting against streamer hits to the AC and primary stuff...

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_ACwiring.jpg

I have MOVs across all the AC stuff and have the $28.00 dual-stage Corcom
filters spread all around too...

Cheers,

	Terry