Re: Ion Motors / Electrostatic Pendulum

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> In a message dated 7/20/01 9:13:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> << Wasn't his idea to use the earth (essentially) like a
> giant capacitor?
>
> Ben McMillen
>  >>
> Basically yes, that was his idea.  I have heard speculations that he was
> planning to excite the globe via one of the Schumann Resonance
> frequencies(or
> maybe a harmonic of one?).  One  person suggested also that it would be
> possible extract energy from the ionosphere through an electron avalanche
> effect - enhancing the strength of the signal(don't know where I read this.
> too long ago).   I guess someone would have to try it out on a large scale
> ever find out if it would work.  Could be similar to what they are
> experimenting with up in Alaska.
>   Just for fun, I once set up a spreadsheet to calculate the odd multiples
> of all the Schumann resonance frequencies.   Once up in the kHz range(say
> between 100 and 200 kHz), there were a fair number of frequencies that
> would
> be an odd multiple of several of the Schumann fundamental frequencies
> simultaneously.  Don't know if there would be any advantage to designing a
> coil to operate at one of those frequencies, but I thought I'd try making a
> coil to try it out once - just to see.  I can't think of any better
> frequency
> to target a coil to run at.  Of course this could entail tweaking the
> secondary by raising/lowering or adjusting the size of the toroid, which
> might be a pain, but if some advantage could be gained by doing it, it
> would
> be nice to find out. Even if no advantage exists,  the coil might possibly
> wind up making a lightning detector, since lightning strikes are what
> causes
> the earth/ionosphere to ring at those Schumann frequencies.  Who Knows??
> If
> someone can tell me what flaws exist in these musings, I'd like to hear
> what
> they are.  I will put on my asbestos underwear and wait....
> Mike

Hi Mike, Ben, All,
      Since Lightning is a phenomenon of the troposphere BELOW the
tropopause (below 50,000ft ~15-18 km) and since the ionosphere begins ABOVE
the mesopause (above 260,000ft ~80-85 km) what is the transport mechanism for
the forty or so miles ~60-65 km) in between the two?
      (The existance of the ionosphere had not even been established until a
decade after Wardenclyffe was demolished; highly unlikely that Tesla was
going to utilize it.)

Matt D.