Re: toroid height adjustment - what does it really do?

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

hello john,
(big snip)
> Malcolm had mentioend in an old post the coil can be finely adjusted simply
> by changing the coil to
> toroid height.

i think it was malcolm's comment about this "fine tuning" effect, a long
while back, that led me to build a 4" coil with an adjuster for toroid
height.
i used a pvc sink compression fitting and mounted the toroid on a length
of pvc pipe that slides into it. i could raise or lower the toroid and
set it by tightening the fitting.
this IS a very nice fine tuner and as i recall it didn't make my
discharge longer, but it made them thicker and brighter.
as everyone states, there is the "sweet" spot and then there is the
"ooops, too much" spot, the corona starts to glow on the top turns and
then they "GLOW", i mean they arc really!
actually forgot about playing with this coil until you brought it up, in
fact this adjuster is on my UGLIEST OF ALL secondary, i may have to use
this setup more often now because it was great fun tuning this in and
really helped discharge appearances.
thanks,
marc m.