PCB's

Original poster: "Nick Andrews by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nicothefabulous-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I'm not sure there's a simple answer to this, but when did they stop making
caps with PCB's, and what kind of exposure to them is a definite no-no?  I
was at a salvage yard Saturday and picked up an old piece of equipment from
around WWII, it looks like.  It's an Al plate with a number of HV trannies
and caps on it, some filament trannies and (empty) tube sockets.  Also four
quite large flat diodes.  The trannies are all different, most of them rated
in KV in and out.  One is 120VAC in, 13kV out.  Another has 4.5kV in, ~12kV
out, rated at 1000pps and they are all rated for peak and RMS current as
well.  Some quite odd items, and the interconnection is also unusual.  One
of the caps had the stud broken off the top of the ceramic insulator, but it
may be repairable.  Anyway, there is some oily residue on some parts of it,
but Until I clean and strip it, I can't be sure where it's from, maybe some
entirely unrelated source.  I also saw some 7kVA piggies and impulse
trannies laying in the weeds by a highway, but it was getting dark and
didn't see any NO PCB's stickers on them, although they looked somewhat
modern to me.  I would think that as long as they remain closed up, they
should be okay to use...  Any data would be appreciated.

Nick Andrews