Re: doorknob cap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/24/01 8:49:53 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hello People
>

>   Would anyone happen to know if this is a good buy and if it will produce
>  desired effects. Im new to this and am looking to power a coil with a 15kv
> 30ma
>  NST and I came accross this item. I am curious if I will be able to obtain
> any
>  substantial arcs with this cap listed below.
>
>   Cap. 2000pf, 40kv ceramic, doorknob type. Approximately 2 3/8 inches
> diameter,
>  and 1 1/4 inches thick with threaded mounting poles (10-32) on each side.
>
>  Vince

Vince,
    Doorknob caps are generally thought of as not the best choice for coils.
They are designed for DC use in most cases and may heat up when running.   If
they are cheap and the best you have available, well they'd probably be ok
for a while as you are testing and tuning your coil, but you'd be better off
with the MMC caps in the long run.  I have seen very small coils that work ok
with them - such a a coil powered by a car coil.  They do ok for that.
Mike