Re: doorknob cap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/24/01 10:49:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Vinnie by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> nickolatesla-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Hello People
>

> Would anyone happen to know if this is a good buy and if it will produce
> desired effects. Im new to this and am looking to power a coil with a 15kv
> 30ma
> NST and I came accross this item. I am curious if I will be able to obtain
> any
> substantial arcs with this cap listed below.
>
> Cap. 2000pf, 40kv ceramic, doorknob type. Approximately 2 3/8 inches
> diameter,
> and 1 1/4 inches thick with threaded mounting poles (10-32) on each side.
>
> Vince

Hi Vince,
        I successfully used a pair this type with a 10/23 OBIT until I blew
one out with exact resonance and no safety gap across it. With a safety gap
across it, it should last a while but your resonant frequency will be quite
high with this small a cap or your primary coil will be large.
Matt D.