RE: Solving the DC coil mystery

Original poster: "David Dean by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <deano-at-corridor-dot-net>

Hi

some snips in here...

> Original poster: "S & J Young <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>
>
> SQRT(Lreact/Cpri)].  Solving for L it is
> 1/((pi x BPS)^2 x C) = about 21 Henry.  Is that right?  And I end up
> with
> the tank cap charged to about twice the power supply voltage - right?
> ---------------
>

> Yes, 21H would be correct.  But your peak charging current
> would only be Vhvdc / SQRT(L/C), which I would guess is less
> than 0.5A (3 joules).  A 3J reactor is easily of hand-held size.
>
> At 1kW, you might want to consider a switching cap charger instead?
> --

What is a switching cap charger?  SMPSU?  Or a fancy type of gap?

> -GL
> www.lod-dot-org

Steve,

A couple of years ago, maybe three, I spent a summer working on some

fancy gap designs, some for MOT supplies. If I understand, You are using

a MOT supply with now a voltage Tripler with a gap that operates like a

SPDT switch. The gap first charges the tank cap from the DC power supply,

then discharges it through the  Pri. coil.  That is one of the designs I

mulled over. The design then evolved to have the storage cap be very large

in relation to the tank cap size, with pulse capability. (low ESR) The tank

cap then became in series with the primary coil, and the spark gap first

charged the tank cap through the primary creating one "bang", and
discharging

the tank cap through the primary creating another "bang". I started to build

the thing, but then lucked into a pig, so I used one of the rotary disks for

my first SRSG, then the other for my second. So I don't know if it would
work.

My guess is it would, and you could save the diodes, etc. by adding a filter
cap

at the end of the doubler (or Tripler) and a RF filter adapted from Terry's
NST

filter with the MOVs and safety gaps and all between that and the "pulse"
storage

capacitor.

Just a thought.

deano