Aluminum wire in an NST

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

I recently dismantled a 9kV 30mA Franceformer that I got my hands on. It was
in pretty bad condition, so I decided to just take everything apart to just
see what some of the innner workings were like. I was a bit surprised to find
that the primary windings on the transformer were made of enameled aluminum
wire. Is this some sort of alternative to using magnetic laminations in a
transformer for current limiting? Would this aluminum wire have any practical
use in Tesla coiling?
                                            Justin