Re: Triggered gap and safety gaps

In a message dated 7/26/01 10:47:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>
>
>  Howdy all,
>
>  Converted my two-horned sucker gap into a three-horned sucker gap today,
>  with the third horn being the trigger 'ode. I can get it to work nicely,
but
>  have to widen my safety gap much wider than previously. I have always had
it
>  set on the conservative side, so that it basically always fires with 140vac
>  in. Should I be concerned? This is my difficult to replace 15/120 nst, so
>  I'm a little worried. Any TG gap setting protocols out there?

Johathon,

In the interest of NST protection during these trigger gap experiments,
you may wish to run the coil at a rather low power, by using an input
main variac on the coil, and setting it low, at half or 3/4 level or so.
This way you can restore the original safety gap setting while you're
testing things.
If you''re using an LTR cap, that will also go a long way towards
protecting the NST by preventing resonant build up, during times
when the trigger gap fails to fire.  If you're using a resonant or matched
size cap, the NST will probably be destroyed during experimentation.

John Freau