Re: MOVs and NSTs

Hi Jonathon,

You actually ask a remarkably complex question!

How much RMS current should a given NST and draw...  When is the current
"normal" given a coil system's design and the user cranking up the variac to
140VAC, and when should the system blow the fuse...  What is the inrush curent
that the fuse needs to stand while still providing protection....  How do PFC
caps play into this...

For your purposes, the NST will draw maybe 15 amps normally.  If you have
properly sized PFC caps, then maybe 7 amps.

I'll spare all the details here, but sounds like another big computer study of
many systems is needed to come up with a chart...

Cheers,

        Terry