Re: rotary spark gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Cydesho-at-aol-dot-com>

I actually had one of those motors with the four screws in the corners. I
removed them and proceeded to remove the end caps. I was able to slide them
part way down the axle of the motor, but after a while, they would slide any
farther. No amount of hammering with a mallet could budge them either.
eventually, with all of stress I was putting on the thing, pieces of the
windings began to fall out. I might have to try this again with a newer
motor. There was a considerable amount of oxidation on the parts of the
motor, and seems possible that it could have caused enough friction between
the parts to keep them from separating well. I'll keep working at it and see
what I can figure out.