Re: sync motor :-( update_1

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/29/01 12:16:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Hi Jonathon,
>
> There were 4 flats cut, correct? I know this is probably a dumb question,
> but I just
> wanted to clarify here. I assume so since you stated flats cut at 90
> degrees. Ok,
> here's something else to help us out with your delema:

  Yes, 4 flats. machine cut. Now this is gonna be one of those "Why won't
this engine start?",  "Is there gas in it?" kinda questions, but, does the
position of the flats on the rotor matter?

> 1) What is the size of the armature (diameter)?

3  3/8" dia (± 2 mm)

> 2) What is width of flats AND the width of the non-cut areas between each
> flat?

.780" flats (.750" of the Acitve pole to active pole, plus 30 thousandths)
1.750" non cut

> Just curious on the mechanics of the work done. My flats were cut equal
> (the spacing
> between each flat measured the same as the flat width). Used a tach =
> 1800rpm and
> solid. I have a centrifigal switch, but works like a champ.

Me, too, centrifigal switch works though. I saw it spark as the S Windings
kickked off.

My sync motor

> is rated
> at 1/3HP, 1725rpm.

Same Here.

> I like others really find it odd it isnt sync'd. When it comes up to speed,
> is it
> steady?

Yes, comes up to speed quickly and stays there.

If not, it may be trying to sync but losing sync (you can hear it

> change
> speeds near it's top end if this is happening). This is typically caused by
> too much
> resistance vs. HP. A 1/3HP motor shouldn't have this problem unless
> something is
> really thrown together wrong. Is there a load attached to the motor shaft?

No load at all, only thing a did was TAPE a CARDBOARD circle about 3" dia
with a line drawn on it.

If so,

> what's the load?.
>
> Regards,