Re: sync motor :-( update_1

Hi Jonathon,

At 04:17 PM 7/29/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>>I like others really find it odd it isnt sync'd. When it comes up to
>>speed, is it steady?

>Yes, comes up to speed quickly and stays there.

So the motor comes up to a nice steady speed and seems to basically run fine
now that the spacer problem is fixed?

Is the overheating and high current problem fixed now too?

Does the motor shaft turn freely by hand?

There should not be any binding or high friction.  I would suspect that the RPM
meter and strobe thing is not working right before I would suspect the motor is
defying the laws of physics :-))

I would make a new strobe disk.  Just a disk of paper.  Half is white, the
other half is black and attach it to the motor shaft.  With only a florescent
light, the thing should be in sync.  Maybe watch the disk as you remove power
to watch it go in and out of sync.  If that does not work, find another
florescent light.  Newer ones may have electronic ballasts that may be messing
up the strobe effect.

Sometimes the strobe disk thing is pretty hard to see.  I personally don't
trust those RPM meters...  I can't help thinking that the motor is running fine
and perfectly in sync but the problem is in trying to see it.

If worst comes to worst, perhaps the motor has an electrical defect in the
windings.  But that is about the only thing that could possibly be wrong
(demonic possession is not my area :-)).

You may want to weigh the motor to find out about how much it will cost to
ship.  Probably about $35 for the round trip.  My infinite Tesla coiling budget
could cover that if the problem is cool ;-))  I have the toys here to find the
problem if it is going to play tough :-))  We really need to know "why"...

Cheers,

        Terry