Digital vs Analog meters

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

Hi all,

On my DC powered coil, I tried using a LCD panel meter, powered by 9 volt
battery, with appropriate shunts to measure current out of my HVDC supply.
I was hoping for more accuracy than the analog meter.  Current should be
fairly steady as I am monitoring current into the final 6 MF filter cap, not
the high pulse DC output from it.

But it didn't work.  Meter registered overvoltage whenever the spark gap
fired, but recovered OK.  I tried bypassing the meter with a cap to keep RF
or pulses out of it, but it didn't help.  So its back to good 'ol tough
analog panel meters.

Anyone had any luck using digital meters to monitor TC voltages or currents?
If so, how did you do it?

--Steve