Re: sync motor :-( update_1

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 7/29/01 05:44:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> So the motor comes up to a nice steady speed and seems to basically run fine
> now that the spacer problem is fixed?

pretty much so, yes.

> Is the overheating and high current problem fixed now too?

I don't know what the current was, my ammeter isn't working properly... but
it is running cooler.

> Does the motor shaft turn freely by hand?

It's not the best, but it does turn by hand.

> There should not be any binding or high friction.  I would suspect that the
> RPM
> meter and strobe thing is not working right before I would suspect the
> motor is
> defying the laws of physics :-))
>
> I would make a new strobe disk.  Just a disk of paper.  Half is white, the
> other half is black and attach it to the motor shaft.  With only a
> florescent
> light, the thing should be in sync.  Maybe watch the disk as you remove
> power
> to watch it go in and out of sync.  If that does not work, find another
> florescent light.  Newer ones may have electronic ballasts that may be
> messing
> up the strobe effect.

I'll try that.

> Sometimes the strobe disk thing is pretty hard to see.  I personally don't
> trust those RPM meters...  I can't help thinking that the motor is running
> fine
> and perfectly in sync but the problem is in trying to see it.
>
> If worst comes to worst, perhaps the motor has an electrical defect in the
> windings.  But that is about the only thing that could possibly be wrong
> (demonic possession is not my area :-)).

> You may want to weigh the motor to find out about how much it will cost to
> ship.  Probably about $35 for the round trip.  My infinite Tesla coiling
> budget
> could cover that if the problem is cool ;-))  I have the toys here to find
> the
> problem if it is going to play tough :-))  We really need to know "why"...

I weighed, it and it weighs 14lb. alone. I'll talk to you off-list about
shipping it.

> Cheers,
>
>        Terry

Jonathon Reinhart