Re: PCBs

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Alex,

These days, anything electrical that does not contain PCBs will have a "PCB
Free" sticker on it.  If it has been tested positive, a sticker will state
this as well.  If there is no sticker....   well, if it's older than about
1975,
then it probably does contain PCBs, and probably not afterwards.  If it's a
1970's product, then it's anyone's guess.  It can be tested, either using
the "burn test", or have it professionally tested (and you'll get a "PCB
Free" sticker and paperwork).

I remember hearing that ALL GE Medical products are PCB free.  I'm not sure
about non-medical products....

As for shippipng  freight....  Consilidated Freight and ABF are the two
names that come to mind the quickest.  A yahoo search for freight shipping
company would yeild a few more.  If the cap does contain PCBs, a freight
company will likely either not ship it, or will charge even more due to the
"hazardous materials" contained therein.

*I* will not attempt to obtain (purchase, scrounge, etc) anything that
contains PCBs....  of course for a 225pound 63kV, 2uF pulse-duty cap I may
just "ignore" my "rule"....  ;-)

Mark Broker
The Geek Group's Chief Engineer