Re: Coil pictures - please take a look

Original poster: "Bob Thaden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <robert.thaden-at-amd-dot-com>

> I am especially impressed with the use of a static gap in this arrangement
> and your success with it. I couldn't make sense from the photo's of the
> static gap configuration. Could you elaborate a little on it?

The fancy 8-stage static multigap I built didn't work at all, so I'm just
using my safety gap as the main gap.  The center electrode is just floating
so this is a 2-stage gap.  If you notice closely, you'll see I made it
adjustable - the copper endcaps can be slid back and forth on the copper
coupling.  Works great.  The shop vac blowing air on it works better than
a smaller fan I used previously.

> I was a little perplexedabout your toroid sizes and their lumped
> capacitances. Because of your tune at 12 turns, it appears you ....

Good question about stacked toroids, etc...  I may not be at exactly 12 turns.
Other dimensions are only approximate.... so don't try to make calculations
based on what I've said so far.  Toroid hight above secondary is probably
an inch or two too much, since I'm getting some sparks from the last sec
turn.

> Great job with your coil. Thanks for sharing with the list. Also, I love
> the use of pvc supports.

Thanks!  PVC is perfect for so much.  The pvc pipe that supports the
secondary (pvc floor flanges everywhere) is how I adjust coupling - just pop
in one of 4 diff lengths.

             toroid
               floor flange (mounted to toroid)
             pvc pipe supporting toroid
               floor flange (mounted to top of secondary endplug)
             secondary
               floor flange (mounted to bottom of sec endplug)
             pvc pipe secondary support
               floor flange (mounted to wood base)
             base