Re: uv dangers from uncovered gap

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/4/01 2:12:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Robin Copini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> rcopini-at-merlin-dot-net.au>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just reading through another computer magazine, and found this very
> interesting article. I will copy here verbatim.
>
> Electric Arcing.
>
> Arcing generates ultra violet radiation which causes skin damage akin
> to severe sunburn. Molten metal particles from the arc can penetrate,
> burn and lodge in the flesh. These effects are additional to any
> radiated heat damage caused by the arc. Further effects of arcing can
> easily be overlooked and an illustration of this has been where the
> recipient of arcing has been wearing contact lenses with the following
> consequences:
>
> 'An electrical worker threw an uncovered electrical switch into a
> closed position resulting in an electrical spark'.
>

> 'A welder threw open his protective face shield to better position a
> welding rod, the rod contacted metal and produced a spark'.
>
> Nothing particularly unusual about these occurrences except both men
> were wearing contact lenses. On returning home they removed the contact
> lenses and the cornea of the eye was removed along with the lens. The
> result was instant blindness! An investigation revealed in both cases
> the electrical arc generated microwaves that had dried up the fluids
> between the eye and the contact lens. The trauma is painless and the
> individuals never knew the injury had occurred until they had removed
> the contact lens along with the cornea. Clearly, therefore, it may be
> very unwise to wear contact lenses when considering any electrical
> testing or commissioning activity.
>
> end quote.
>
> Now I am far from an expert in this, but I do demonstrate my coil to
> those that ask to see it, and although I always ask concerning implants
> etc I have never considered the above scenario. Considering my gap is
> literally 'sunlight' bright when running, and considereing proximity
> issues,  could someone please tell me whether the above is cause for
> concern?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Robin Copini.

Hi Robin!
      Arc light is dangerous to all vision because of the high UV (opposite
end of spectrum from MW) component, which is why I have a welder's face mask
lens over my safety gap and the main gap is not directly visible from the
front. My small coil had a cobalt glass filter case in which the gap sat. my
rotary gap (under construction) is being built in a ventilated enclosure.
Being blind in one eye already, I am extra cautious about such things.
      The microwave angle is new to me, although I read about a month ago
that the military has developed a microwave "projector" as a non-lethal form
of crowd control. It boils the moisture off the skin causing intense,
agonizing pain, but not death. (Isn't that nice?) If you are really worried
about the MW effects, a copper mesh box (window screening) around the gap
container would eliminate any problems of this type. Faraday cage on a small
scale.

Matt D.