Re: Egg of Columbus/Extended operation

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Wade, Terry, and all,

The best description I've seen is from a Lindsay Publications reprint:
"Strange Stories from Electrical Experimenter Magazine, 1917-1919".
The article originally appeared in the March, 1919 edition. Tesla used
iron core(s) or a single toroidal core around which 4 coils were
wound. These were energized from a 2-phase AC source to create a
rotating magnetic field. A 6-coil, 3-phase system would work just as
well.

Tesla varied the frequency from 25 to 300 hertz from a powerful
alternator driven at variable speed, getting best performance at 35-40
hertz. The "eggs" were made from copper and were either egg shaped or
spherical. The egg revolves around its major axis. I've scanned in the
pertinent sections of the book and put them on my web site. The
following jpegs cover it fairly well:

http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/egg1.jpg
http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/egg2.jpg
http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/egg3.jpg