Re: Herrick's s.s. coil & documentation

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

[comments interspersed]

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:35:12 -0000 "Christopher Boden"
<chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com> writes:
>> Whoa!...what you see in [KCH]_tcg1, -2 & -3 [on
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp] >>is not "Herrick's Augmenter" but rather
Herrick's Patented Solid-State >>Alternating-Current Thunder and
Lightning Entertainment Machine!

> It's absolutly beautiful. I love how you choose to support the
> secondary.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Attached to the baseplate is a common 4" PVC "closet flange".  The
secondary, having an end-closure, sits on a piece of PVC pipe set into
that.

> Does that cause problems with arcing?

The only problem with arcing I ever have had is when I put the coil up on
a wood deck for a party.  The 4' sq. wire-mesh counterpoise I used was
not well grounded so I got occasional arcs from a MOSFET heat sink to the
center of the secondary.  Happily, no damage ensued.

> The Secondary windings look unusual, why? What are the vertical
> stripes?
> Tape?

Some time back I posted a "recipe" for my space-wound secondary.  This is
per the modified recipe, also posted.  Essentially I a) coat a sonotube
with Jasco Water Sealant II, b) after drying, tightly wind onto it a
layer of .06" dia cotton twine, c) spirally lay down over that, 3"-wide x
.003" teflon plumbers' tape, then d) wind on the wire in the spiral track
formed by the twine.  The teflon is to keep the cotton fuzzys down & to
keep the cotton from charring due to inadvertent sparks.

The vertical stripes are "Q-dope" to keep the wire in place.

> It's the most aestheticlly built Coil I've ever seen. I'd love to
> duplicate
> it as a Group project. Would you be interested in helping us on such
> an
> endevour?

I've offered my documentation, for a modest price, in a recent posting &
from it persons skilled in IC/transistor/etc. logic circuits & also the
usual electrical/mechanical tasks could duplicate my coil.  While the
primary scheme is U.S.-patented, anyone can, of course, use it for
non-commercial purposes.

I don't now offer >all< the documentation since the p.c. artwork etc.
needs revising.  Also, the top assy drawing needs work & revision.
Probably, down the line, I would be in a position to offer blank p.c.
boards (the pie-shaped ones) made to my revised design.  Said redesign is
primarily to a) put the MOSFET driving circuits on the same board and b)
locate the MOSFETs below the board instead of on top--to get them out of
the way of the primary wiring.

I'm going ahead with that p.c. redesign & intend to order a couple of
boards so as to re-do my existing coil for its full complement of 6
MOSFET assys.  Currently, of course, it has only 4.  When those boards
are proved out, I could make some available.  Otherwise, of course, you'd
be free to design your own; a big job needless to say.

I take the liberty of cc'ing the List with this msg since others might be
interested.

Regards-

Ken Herrick