Re: Receiver coil

Original poster: "butt head by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mrnobody41-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Ahh yes,I was just reading about this in a book about tesla,and his "lost"
inventions. lemme grab it....
It says here that for wireless power,you would wind two identical flat coils
(wide,not tall) with two large metal spheres attached to the large coil.
(aerials if you will) Much like a tesla coil,but "backwards" you would
connect the large coil to the "antenna" and to ground,and take power from
the "primary" (now secondary) of the second coil.  I believe that the
"aerials" are critical in tuning the circuits. the key is to get the
"antenna" as high as possible,Like up into the clouds,where the atmosphere
is conductive when charged with "hundreds,thousands,or even millions of
volts"
it says that Tesla's prototype (which he demonstrated to the patent-givers)
was constructed thusly: (transmitter) A 50,000 volt transformer charged a
.004uF capacitor which discharged through a rotary gap producing 5,000
breaks per second.The primary was eight feet in diameter,and used one turn
of "stout" cable.the secondary was 50 turns of 8 gauge cable.the transmitter
oscillated at 230-250,000 CPS,and produced 2-4 million volts.
He later modified this a bit,and used it at Colorado Springs as teh
"magnifying coil" the secondary was 24 turns of 8 gauge wire 51 feet in
diameter,the antenna was a 30 inch sphere,and was on a 142 foot mast!

Something else that might be useful to look into would be resonant tank
circuits for the reciever. (crucial for this experiment) Things like teh
tesla radio system would be helpful here.

the book i got this from is called "Tesla,the lost inventions" by George
Trinkaus,printed here in Portland Oregon. If you like i could scan a few
articles,and mail them to you.

Good Luck!