Re: NST Filter

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/7/01 09:43:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >thirdly, what are MOVs and what do they
> >do, and how do they do it?
>
> I guess they are some bulk semiconductor material that needs to have a
> certain amount of voltage across them before they start to conduct.  Since
> they dissipate power in a relatively large volume, they can take quite a
> power hit.  Basically, they act like a switch that turns on at a given
> voltage.  Perfect for shorting out high voltage spikes.

Woa! Does that sound like another switch I know of... - Spark Gap??? The only
problem I see with using a MOV instead of a SG is that maybe there is too
much current to be switched by a MOV. I think...

Jonathon Reinhart
hometown.aol-dot-com/kidd6488/tesla