RE: General Questions VIII

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Hello Wade,

I haven't had a lot of experience but here's my 2 cents worth.  Don't use
brass balls in a static gap.  My sucker static gap doesn't heat up much and
so tends to support longer runs.  Due to short experience with it, I can't
add much more than that.  I couldn't see any corrosion or build up of junk
after about 30 minutes total running with a 12kv/60ma NST.

See Greg's Garage:
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg/
for pictures of a vacuum static gap.

My gap is not as elaborate.  Think about it and change it to fit your needs.
I had an old vacuum cleaner with a hose.  Short description:  Hose to 1 1/2"
PVC pipe to 1 1/2" PVC T to 4 each 1 1/2" PVC elbows to 1 1/2"X1" PVC flush
bushings to 1"X1" female pipe thread PVC adapters to 1" male pipe thread X
1" copper tubing adapters(copper) to 1" copper tubing.  I drilled a hole in
1" copper end caps and folded the center part back into the tubing so that
the ends of the copper pipes would not be sharp.  Similar shape to Greg's
vacuum static gap but I use more PVC and the T sits flat on the driveway
with the vacuum hose stuck into the end of the 1 1/2" pipe.

Regards,

Pete Komen