Re: spark gap spacing

Hi Jeremiah,

When you place a capacitor across an NST, it will resonant and combination can
produce very high voltages.  Maybe 5 times the NST rated voltage!  Left
unchecked, this very high voltage (and high current too) will usually damage
the NST.  However your NST sounds really strong and the MMC was the first to
go.

Assuming the MMC cap arced at 2.5 times it's rated voltage, you were probably
hitting over 30,000 volts when the capacitor snapped.

I think something else was wrong or something was not tuned right that caused
the poor performance.  Widening the gap is a common "fix" but usually damages
something.  In this case, the NST survived and the MMC is probably fine too.  A
cracked case is just from the energy being released and it will probably
self-heal and be fine unless it is obviously destroyed or smokes a lot when run
again.  You can probably replace that cap if you have more without worrying
about the rest of them.

You should set the gap at the proper voltage.  With "only" the gap connected to
the NST the output voltage will be the NSTs rated voltage.  You can then set
the gap as wide as you can while it still fires consistently.  Then it will be
set to the rated output voltage of your NST.  It should be left at that spot at
all times.

Then try adjusting the primary tap location to get the best sparks.  With a
little fiddling, you should be able to get the sparks you want.

Cheers,

        Terry