Re: Hand cranked TC

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi there... commments below

> I ran a cross a 0-130 vac, 7-8 watt hand cranked field phone >generator,
> and was wondering if this could be used to mkae a hand cranked >TC. I was
> thinking of hooking it up to a small, power corrected OBIT. Does >this
> seem reasonable? The purpose of the coil is for high school >students to
> experiment with, so huge output isn't required.
Sounds like a good idea... the AC line from the generator may well not be a
pure or consistent sine wave though so it might be a good idea to add some
PFC caps and a line filter. A good source of low-power for a coil is a bug
zapper transformer.

> If anyone has some suggestions as to primary and secondary
> sizes/wraps/guages and tank cap reccomendations, that would be >really
> great. Would be very cool to have  this for ther students to use.
For a small coil, try something like this:
3" by 12" Secondary with 28AWG wire, should be fine at about 900 turns
8 turns of copper pipe at 15 degrees for better coupling
9/30 NST power supply
0.01uF MMC bank
Topload with 5" dia 2" thick
Single (or multi) SSG
Terrys protection filter (of course)

Give it a go... it should be impressive for little demos. Alternatively see
http://www.powerlabs-dot-org/teslacoils for Same Barros' systems

Good luck,
Jason