RE: easy tungsten source?

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Bert, all:
I'd appreciate a hunch/guess comment if you would on the following:
A friend of mine manages a wire hanger factory. In the manufacturing
process, steel is drawn thinner and thinner by a series of tungsten carbide
dies that look like donuts.
I bought 9 of these in a suitable size...they are slightly larger than the
size of a Life Saver. I will mount them using 1/4-20 brass bolts so they are
lollypop like, one next to the other.
This is to replace my 9 copper sweat couplers which get oxidized badly every
two-three hours of use at Hangmans House.

The donuts appear gray, matte finish.

Any ideas?

And if the arrangement works as planned, I will tell everyone and I am sure
that my frien can get more. But they tend to be pricey, about $8 each.

Safety First

Ted
Subject: Re: easy tungsten source?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

All,

One other potential problem is that, as with so-called tungsten darts,
they are most likely a tungsten-nickel alloy containing 10-30% nickel
since pure tungsten tends to too brittle for most common applications.
If used in a spark gap some electrode metal is likely to be vaporized or
oxidized in operation, and these byproducts may then be accidentally
inhaled. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for nickel lists it as a
possible cancer causing agent (a carcinogen). Similar warnings apply to
chromium, making stainless steel an unattractive electrode option as
well. Nickel's green and black oxides (Nickel II, Nickel III) also have
similar MSDS warnings, along with chromium oxide. They are all
potentially quite nasty compounds that you really DON'T want in your
body. Fortunately, no such warnings apply to pure tungsten or its
oxides.

For further information, check out the following MSDS site referenced by
Ed Wingate in a post last year:
http://www.espi-metals-dot-com/msds.htm

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --