Re: Ebay caps?

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I happened to run across these caps while browsing thru
> ebay:
>

> <http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1244736637>http://
> cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1244736637
>
> I'm assuming these are  electrical utility power factor correction
> caps and for three-phase, since there are three bushings? I've al-
> ways heard that these type of caps aren't very good for Tesla ap-
> plication although (un) Terry Oxandale told me that he tore one open
> and rearranged the the innards for series configuration instead of
> parallel and that after doing this modification, it worked good as a
> Tesla primary tank cap.
>
> Just thought that I would see what the TCML concensus was on
> these.
>
> Sparkin' in Memphis,
> David Rieben

Hi David....

these caps can be modified to use on TC's....   I had opened a couple and ran
each "packet" in series for my Big coil I used in a Haunted House down here in
New Orleans. They held up for a while but eventually failed.
Each "packet" seems to be good for about 2KV AC and has about 1.5 - 3 uF each.
Soooo... you will need to run about 20 to 30 of the "packets" in series to get
a low enuf uF to use in coiling. Opening the case isnt all that easy, you have
to grind the weld at the top off to open it ... about 30 min worth of grinding
with an angle grinder. ALSO... ( almost forgot) the case is filled with a very
foul smelling oil and the oil is under pressure.
You will need to drill a small hole in the top of the case with some type of
"protective" device to keep the oil from spraying out once the drill breaches
the case. ( a plastic cup worked for me).

Once the top is off you will need to cut the wires going to the cap and remove
several layers of heavy brown paper. The caps are set up as several packets in
parallel and in series. the aluminum tabs that extend from the cap packets are
crimped together with a hard metal crimp band that is impossible to remove.

The aluminum tabs that extend from the packets are also VERY BRITTLE, they
break at the wrong place almost everytime you move them.

If you have lots of patience and some good tools, go for it, it wont be easy...
and no matter how careful you are, you will still smell like the oil in the
case ( which permeates everything for about 6 months) my shop still smells like
the stuff even after 8 months time.

Scot D