Re: 81" Continuous Arcs!

In a message dated 6/12/01 9:45:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I know twin-coil sparklength has been looked at
>  this way per previous posts on the subject. I personally have difficulty
>  identifying sparklength potential because in a twin setup, there is quite
> few
>  more mechanisms at work (i.e, potential differences, spark channel effects,
>  proximity effects, etc..).
>
>  Here's a question I have. If say a 10kVa twin produces 20 foot arcs to
>  eachother. If the twin is seperated to 25 feet beyond their collective
>  potential, is each twin then still capable of 10 foot arcs?

Bart,

I never actually built a twin, but my guess is the sparks would be
about the same length (added together), either when touching in
the middle, or not... as when the coils are moved further apart.  There
may perhaps be a slight advantage to having them closer for a greater
degree of ionization in the spark area, etc., but I doubt that more
than 5% would be gained, and maybe not even that.  I guess those
who have tried it will have more to say.  But if the sparks are longer
than when separate, then the sparks will be even longer than I
suggested, more than 20 feet that is (but not much longer I
would think.)

John