Resonant Transformers for 1MV Xrays was Re: coil discharge color

I think the original system Geoffrey was talking about were the GE 1 MV
Xray systems built in the thirties by Charlton and Hubbard using a
potential drop type accelerator.  Fed with 3 phase power and a clever
scheme to get 360 Hz excitation, they had a bunch of series connected
secondaries strung along a core.  The spacing and number of turns on each
secondary was adjusted to get good potential distribution.  The accelerator
tube passed through the center of the windings next to the core, with the
target below the "floor".
It was big, bulky, inefficient, etc, but it's what they had back then.