Re: First Light- Bad Results!

Original poster: "Liviu Vasiliu by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <teslina-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>
>
> I added a soda can as a topload and I remade the
> primary with some bare wire
> and upped it to 7 turns and I can get about 1 inch
> sparks off a breakout point
> now.

I think you were and are out of tune yet.
Using your specs I calculated:
 L sec = 11.235 mH
 self C sec = 3.415 pF
 frec sec = 812 kHZ
 If you use two bottle caps it is possible that your
primary cap would be around 700- 900 pF
 For a safety distance of 1" between the secondary and
the first inner turn of primary and a wire diamter of
0.2", 7 turns, 0.2" space between wires, I calculated:
 L primary = 5.69 uF
 So, the frec primary = between 2.22- 2.52 MHz
 the formulas were tacken from Matt Behrend site.
 I have a tesla coil with a 1.6" x 8" secondary. The
topload is a light bulb with 2.8" diamter. The inner
diamter of my primary is 2.4" and i use 12+3/4 turns
to be in tune.
 try different toploads, increase the primary capacity
or increase the number of the primary turns.
 If you use a NE 555 ignition coil mountage try to
rectify the output before introducing it in the
primary cap. For high frequency sources, the primary
cap is seen like a capacitive reactance.
teslina