Re: Sync vs. Async

Hi Matt,

Since the motor and the charging frequency vary by ~2.5Hz, your gap will go
in and out of the "sweet spot" creating sort of a wooowooowooowooo sound.
The efficiency is only about 50% of what a sync gap would be.  So it would
be nice if your motor was converted to a sync type ;-)

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/syncmot.zip

However, you can always just put a regular static gap in parallel with the
rotary gap and that will protect every thing.  If the rotary gap misses,
the static gap will fire.  The MMC current may be a little higher but the
big Geek caps won't care.

Cheers,

	Terry