RE: 'Nother First Light, but........

Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pkomen-at-zianet-dot-com>

Erik,

For a 9/30 NST, the cap should be 0.0088uF, and the Geek Group bucket cap is
(according to the Geeks) rated at 0.0125uF.  Is the decimal place incorrect
on your figure?  0.0125uF would be good for an LTR cap.  I ran a test with
my vacuum static gap and a 9/30 hooked only to the NST protection circuit
and the SG and I got arcs of 0.166 inch (checked with feeler gauge).

Guessing that your primary inner turn is 1" larger radius than the
secondary, I calculate a primary freq of 153.56kHz and a Secondary Freq of
about 108.8kHz.  That is 8.1 inches diameter of the secondary.  I am using
my own Excel spreadsheet calculations and I may be off, but they have been
reliable for my coil.  For that size of secondary, you need more turns on
the primary.

What other spark gap configurations have you tried?  I can recommend AGAINST
brass balls.  The only time I have gotten intermittent arcs across my spark
gap in testing without the TC set up, is when the gap is slightly too large.
1/16 with a 9/30 NST is too small.

Guess I can't answer your question.

Good Luck,

Pete Komen