Re: Primary calculations

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Mark, All!

>I am about ready to construct my primary and have a problem.  All of
the
>"popular" TC programs that I've looked at require a diameter for the
primary
>conductor.  I was planning on using a flat copper "ribbon" for the
primary.
>Math is not my strong suit so I was going to rely on the program to
do the
>calculations.  Does anyone know of a program that can do these calcs
for me?

It shouldn't make much difference if you simply use the thickness of
the ribbon in place of the diameter of the wire, even if the result
isn't spot-on, you'll be plenty close enough to get sparks off the
topload.  Then you can do the final tuning by the tried and tested
try-it-and-see routine.  I used brass "boiler band" from a model
engineering supplier (half inch by ~0,035") and had no problems with a
*very* crude guesstimate.

Dunckx
Geek #1113 G3