SRSG break rate

Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

I have been following the posts on SRSG break rates. Some people seem to think
100 BPS (50 HZ) or 120 BPS (60 HZ) is best. It seems to me that 200 BPS (50 HZ)
or 240 BPS (60 HZ) would be optimum. Here is why I think this. If you examine a
single cycle of sine wave, there are 4 positions of maximum charging for a
capacitor. During the first 1/4 cycle (starting at 0 degrees), the cap would
reach its peak charge at about the 90 degree point of the sine wave. At this
point the cap should be discharged. Continuing to charge the cap past 90
degrees without discharge would not charge the cap any further because the
voltage is now decreasing towards 0 at the 180 degree point. After discharging
at the 90 degree point, the charge cycle can begin again at the peak voltage
and continue charging until the 180 degree point is reached. At this point, the
cap should again be discharged because after the 180 degree point, the voltage
will go negative and the cap will not reach any higher charge. 2 more discharge
points can be identified for the negative voltage at the 270 and 360 degree
positions. This reasoning assumes that the transformer can supply sufficient
current to fully charge the cap in 1/4 cycle. If not, then higher break rates
may be better.