Re: SRSG break rate

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

After reading Steve's original question, I'm still confused by the
answer.  I never gave it much thought before, but his question (or
rather the lack of an answer that I can grasp) has me puzzled.  Suppose
one break is at a positive peak.  Now, after that break, there is
positive voltage for a quarter cycle, then negative for a quarter cycle,
then the next break at the negative peak.  Won't the positive and
negative 1/4 cycles cancel each other out, as far as charge delivered to
the cap, before the next break?  It seems if you were to use 120bps (for
60hz), or one break per half cycle, you would want the breaks to be at
the 0 voltage points.  This way, between breaks, you have either all
positive or all negative voltage, getting as much charge to the cap as
possible.

Of course, I'm new at this, and either:
a) I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, or
b) Everybody already knew this.

I'm interested, because I'm thinking of going to rotary (synchronous,
with NST's), and I want to get it right.

BTW, is the voltage/current at the secondary of my NST's in phase with
the mains?  If not, is it always out of phase by the same degree?  I'm
just trying to get a handle on how to adjust the phase of a synchronous
rotary gap, without fancy equipment I don't have (like oscilloscopes).
I don't want to fry my NST's.  If I use the fluorescent-light-as-strobe
technique, the light will flicker in phase to the mains - hopefully the
same as the phase of the NST's high voltage side.

	-  Bill Vanyo