Re: SRSG break rate

On 21 Jun 01, at 18:28, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

> After reading Steve's original question, I'm still confused by the
> answer.  I never gave it much thought before, but his question (or
> rather the lack of an answer that I can grasp) has me puzzled.  Suppose
> one break is at a positive peak.  Now, after that break, there is
> positive voltage for a quarter cycle, then negative for a quarter cycle,
> then the next break at the negative peak.  Won't the positive and
> negative 1/4 cycles cancel each other out, as far as charge delivered to
> the cap, before the next break?  It seems if you were to use 120bps (for
> 60hz), or one break per half cycle, you would want the breaks to be at
> the 0 voltage points.  This way, between breaks, you have either all
> positive or all negative voltage, getting as much charge to the cap as
> possible.

The cap has to be discharged while it still has a high terminal
voltage. That rules out firing at zero voltage. What really happens
is this: suppose your gap fires when the cap voltage hits a peak (say
90 degrees after the zero voltage crossing point). Momentarily while
energy transfers are going on in the TC itself, the ballast
inductance of your transformer is being fed current from the
transformer in a closed loop. It is storing some energy during this
period. When the gap opens again (as the transformer voltage is
climbing back down, the ballast energy together with the transformer
begin recharging the cap. The recharge can be quite significant and
allow another gap fire in an async rotary system if the breakrate is
fast enough. Suppose however that the gap does not (more-or-less)
realign until the next transformer peak (180 degrees hence). The
energy stored in the paritally recharged cap is cycled through the
ballast and combined with more energy coming from the transformer to
recharge the cap with the opposite polarity. Note that this mechanism
can boost charge voltage beyond the opencircuit voltage of the
transformer if the gap timing allows it to. So the energy is not
wasted, instead it is circulating between reactive components in a
tuned circuit (primary cap and ballast inductance).

> Of course, I'm new at this, and either:
> a) I don't know what the heck I'm talking about, or
> b) Everybody already knew this.
>
> I'm interested, because I'm thinking of going to rotary (synchronous,
> with NST's), and I want to get it right.
>
> BTW, is the voltage/current at the secondary of my NST's in phase with
> the mains?  If not, is it always out of phase by the same degree?

Phasing depends on cap size and leakage inductance (ballast) is the
simple answer.

 I'm
> just trying to get a handle on how to adjust the phase of a synchronous
> rotary gap, without fancy equipment I don't have (like oscilloscopes).
> I don't want to fry my NST's.  If I use the fluorescent-light-as-strobe
> technique, the light will flicker in phase to the mains - hopefully the
> same as the phase of the NST's high voltage side.

Be aware that adjusting the phase of a sync gap to peak coil output
is doing exactly the same thing as opening up a static gap and could
have the same consequences. This is very easily demonstrated. Place a
safety gap across your sync rotary and set it to fire at the open
circuit voltage of the transformer with no capacitor attached. Now
run the coil, adjust your sync gap phase and the static gap will let
you know when you are trying to push the transformer margins.

NSTs are not designed to withstand lightning strikes whereas pigs
have a designed-in tolerance to this sort of abuse. Pig deaths are
rare in the electrical world.

Regards,
malcolm