Re: More newbie questions

Original poster: "Gary Abusive by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gary_abusive-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Michael O. Poley by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mpoley-at-mindspring-dot-com>

>Whew, after reading the list for a while there I was worried about >asking
>beginner's questions...

There's lots of beginners on here, me for instance. :)

>I'm working off of  Jeff Corr's plans for a 4" diameter secondary off a
>15kV/30mA NST, and now that I've got the components assembled, I'm
>worried.  Everybody's talking about high voltage cable, and now I'm
>wondering whether or not I need to make a special trip to get some to
>connect the whole tank circuit together, or whether I can "make-do" >with
>something more readily available at the hardware store.

If you don't want to make a special trip there are places online where
you can order HV wire. Someone was just talking about Tesla City's wire:
http://www.teslacity-dot-com/  (go to products, then wire)

All Electronics has some nice AWG 18, 30kV wire,  30 cents/foot and I
believe it's silver coated:
http://www.allelectronics-dot-com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item
=TLW-1&type=store

Some people use coax, but I understand only a few varieties are
adequately insulated for HV use. See:
http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2001/February/msg01130.html

If you *had* to "make-do" with something from the hardware store, I
suppose you could slide a sleeve of clear PVC tubing over regular lamp-
cord, or whatever wire you get, as an insulating jacket.
I'd recommend just ordering HV cable on the net though.

_Mike