simple question about ballast cores

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Aron and I have HAD it with current limiting inductors, variacs,
transformers, etc. etc.!! Nothing has seemed to work: but nothing gets us
down in the hobby. (we were using an arc welder - - but its such a nice
welder - - it's made for welding)

I have 3 rolls of 1/16" diameter steel lashing wire, the kind used for
holding cable TV coax cable to the steel strand.

Each roll is 1" thick, with a 5" O.D. I wrapped a tape measure around it and
circumference comes out to about a foot. (12")

So, what if I hacked each roll in half, straightened the wires out, and
coated each w/ something insulative? Could I put it all inside PVC pipe and
wind wire around it for current limiting to our new 10kVA pig??

Thanks a lot,

 Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com