Re: coil discharge color

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/25/01 11:48:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "Eleanor Flood by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
>
> eflood-at-bellsouth-dot-net>
>
> Some days ago there were postings on this...I missed copying the very
> one I wanted....a mixture of borax and something to give a green color.
> I'd like to try
> for another color on a new JL.   Have one with NaCl paste to make
> orange, tried MgSo4 for blue....didn't work.  Any other common
> substances that will give me another color?
> Thanks,  Elli

Hi Elli!
Try SrNO3 for a deep red, KCl for a pinkish violet, CuCl2 for deep blue, PbO3
is light blue. (KClO4 gives brown by blowing the CR** out of you and all
you'll see is brown)        :-))
Check under "flame tests" in Handbook of Chemistry and Physics for more
esoteric stuff (e.g. Cesium, selenium, tellurium, etc.)
Matt D